Sunday, January 4, 2009

Please Forgive Me

I've had a long, long break from David Gray, and kind of forgot how good he makes me feel. I'm not really supposed to listen to his records, as I'm still supposed to be working on my A's (am now on Richard Ashcroft), but what can I say? I've got half a mind to scream out loud, I've got half a mind to die!

In October I broke 1 year and 7 months of not smoking and returned to that stupid, filthy and disgusting habit. Another NYE and I am again smoke-free, without any hesitation around whether or not it will last, and I can not believe that I fell for the charm of it after such a long break.

My Christmas holiday was good, although very full of family and in that manner a bit much for my solitary cavewoman self. Working in Norway the days between Christmas and NYE was an excellent choice, as it was rather quiet and un-stressful, and NYE itself was an unusual celebration of friendship with people that know and love each other. It's not always flowers and sunshine when I visit Norway, but that was a night to remember.

Over Christmas I learnt that a friend of mine had been left by his wife. Things get fucked up every once in a while, and I usually don't dwell on them, but in this case it struck something in me. I do not at all know the wife in question, but this friend of mine is one of the few truly excellent men I've met. It always comes as a surprise to me when people I look up to encounter difficulties. I know they are human and not immune to trouble, but still. If they get run over, then how the hell am I supposed to be able to protect my heart? There's no way.



2009 will have to be a good year. 2008 was good, but involved some mistakes that I know to avoid this time around. Here's to not making them twice :)

"Please forgive me if I act a little strange,
for I know not what I do.
Feels like lightning running through my veins
every time I look at you."
David Gray - Please Forgive Me (White Ladder, 1999)

No comments: