Monday, March 16, 2009

Travel Just By Folding The Map

I am back in Espoo after a week in Seattle. And, I might add, not entirely happy about it.
It took me a couple of days to warm to the place. I mean, I am a little afraid of Americans, at least the crazy ones (and Seattle have a lot of crazy ones), and I was jetlagged like hell to begin with. Once I got over it, though, I have to say this is one of the best places I've ever visited.

My friend Quinn, who in December migrated back from Finland to Seattle after living and working here for a year, was kind enough to house me during my stay. From where she lives I was in walking distance to Capitol Hill and downtown, where I spent most of my week. I did a bit of seightseeing in her hood, but must admit the empty (completely dead in the daytime) streets lined with wooden houses with windchimes hanging on the porches scared the bejeezus out of me! Instant Stephen King movie flashbacks all over the place! Once I got over that as well, however, it was all sunshine and lovely :)

I went to the aquarium (I once wanted to become a marine biologist, and am still very fascinated with everything marine), and although it was not as neat as the London one it was good fun. Didn't have the guts to pet the starfish, but I did poke a lobster around a bit. I also went on a ferry trip to Bainbridge, one of the islands outside Seattle, and spent a lovely couple of hours rambling around in the tiny shops out there. The ferry ride was a nice change from the hilly streets of the city, and as I was blessed with sun most of my week I managed to get a bit freckly :)

Although I usually try to stay clear of the _most_ touristy places when I travel, the Space Needle lured me in with the promise of a great view of the surrounding mountain ranges in the clear spring weather... and I am pleased to say I was not disappointed. Even ended up having a long lunch and found a random bookreading talkative fellow on a neighbouring table to share a couple of beers with (as always with me when I travel there were healthy amounts of beer and books, the greatest travel combo ever!).

Quinn was a lovely hostess, and introduced me to several of her friends. It is very rare for me to meet people I instinctively want to attach my life to, but I was lucky enough to meet not only one, but four of these on this trip; Lovely Nicole and Mitra, Jesse and Kat will leave Quinn-friends shaped holes in my future. I hope my road will cross theirs again at some point. Also big thanks to Kyle, Mary and Dominic who kindly accepted me as their house guest for a week!

During my stay, Quinn turned 30, and this was celebrated in an artist's loft in SoDo, with formal wear (I was forced to go gown-shopping and accidentally ended up with five dresses, will upload pictures) and a lot of people. I hope to get access to some good photos from this event that I can upload, as it held a lot of gorgeous individuals in very pretty clothing :)

"I wish the world was flat like the old days,
then I could travel just by folding the map.
No more airplanes, or speed trains, or freeways,
there'd be no distance that could hold us back."
Death Cab For Cutie - The New Year (Transatlanticism, 2004)

2 comments:

abraxas242 said...

Høres ut som om du har hatt det helt fantastisk:)

C said...

Det var ganske så fint, ja :)