Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Maybe You're Better Off This Way

My CD collection has a big, gaping Tool-shaped hole in it according to a lot of people, but Maynard's main project never really got me going. A Perfect Circle, on the other hand, got under my skin back in 2001 when 3 Libras was released on single, and I ended up buying Mer De Noms (2000). At some point I have also acquired a copy of their 2004 album, Emotive, although I do not think I've listened to it more than a couple of times.

Four days with Hanne got me through a good amount of records, including Emotive, and ohmygod, how have I not picked up the Maynard/Trent connection? How? It is actually a shame to put an actual blog text in a post dedicated to this song as it should speak for itself, so I might have to run it again with only the lyrics. Because sometimes, the world still burns, and songs like this makes me want to burn with it, to erase all traces of passiveness, complacency and cowardliness that rub off from others.

Every so often everyone needs someone to tell them to get a grip and remember who they are. I've slept through every one of the last five nights without my insomnia rearing its ugly head.
Enough said.

"Wake up and face me,
don't play dead, cause maybe
someday I will walk away and say;
"You fucking disappoint me!"
Maybe you're better off this way."
A Perfect Circle - Passive (eMOTIVe - 2004)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean you missed 13th Step as well?

That's definitely worth a listen too.

And the whole Tapeworm debacle is another thing entirely. 'Mmmm we have three or four really good tracks going.' 'Oh no wait we're not releasing anything!'

And combining two posts in one. Yeah everyone dresses up *alot* here. It's nice in it's own way though. and 'Pink' Goths = cybergoths certainly in the UK.
None of them had flowery shoes though :)

C said...

Reznor made some kind of comment saying that had the material been good enough it would have been released for sure. I'm guessing they had a massive case of perfectionism going on, bereaving the world of their Tapeworm creations.

I prefer the term pink goths, it sounds good in Norwegian; "rosagotere". I think my shoes were by far the fanciest in the place :D