Sunday, August 17, 2008

Pretty When You're Faithful

I never was much for Rossdale's (1 very sexy Rolling Stone cover) escapades, although I must admit the man, back when he fronted Bush, was sex personified, if in a slighly more sleezy way than the man himself, Trent Reznor (3 Rolling Stone covers, not so sexy but it's still Trent Reznor). I wonder if he ever slept with Manson (Reznor, that is, not Rossdale). Do I really want to know? Probably not. I read a blog post that likened him, back in his Perfect Drug days, to Severus Snape as played by Alan Rickman in the Harry Potter movies. Funny :)

So, you ask, why this sudden return to That Which Is Trent? I never was much of a NINie back when that term still made any sense, but I wonder how much of the current me he is responsible for. Did I pick my music because of what I was becoming, or did I become what I did because of the music I picked? Surely there are thousands of influences, but how much of me boils down to what I've been listening to?

I do believe that no action is triggered by music, you can't blame lyrics or performers for your own actions. But surely, if music is as big a part of ones environment as it is of mine, it must color us in some ways? Songs I love do have the power to drag me up and down in equal measures, and I would lie if I said I've never used lyrics to achieve goals. Is God in the music? Would God then also be in Trent? Oh, the implications, someone call the pope!

"Burn the witches!", right?

Celebrated Miia's and Alistair's birthdays last night, and am a tad on the tired side today. Splendid evening with loads of excellent people. Next week I have Thursday and Friday off, and am probably going away somewhere. Doesn't matter how busy I am at work, I have very good private life karma right now :)

No comments: