Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Destroy Everything You Touch

Ladytron's single from a couple of years back was part of the soundtrack of my moving to Finland. The liverpudlians are now out with their 4th studio album - Velocifero, and it's done a few rounds on my player. I'm not quite sure I like this as much as the previously mentioned single from Witching Hour, which leads me to conclude that it was probably mainly the lyrics that got me, not so much the band in general.

Thinking of my moving to Finland soundtrack, I had to dig it out. These are the tracks from the mix cd that stayed with me during the first three weeks while I was living in the Crowne Plaza and waiting to get settled to a degree where I could be bothered hauling CD's around:

Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch St. Etienne - He's On The Phone
Mesh - Friends Like These
Nine Inch Nails - La Mer
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
Eskobar - Even If You Know Me (their A Thousand Last Chances record is great! Haven't heard the latest album, have to get around to that.)
Lenny Kravitz - If You Can't Say No
Mew - Snow Brigade
Placebo - Protect Me From What I Want
Kent - 747
Joy Division - She's Lost Control
David Bowie - The Heart's Filthy Lesson
Röyksopp - Only This Moment
Sarah McLachlan - Possession
Crowded House - Fall At Your Feet
Interpol - Take You On A Cruise (they are playing at Arvika, yay!)
The Cure - Plainsong
Toad The Wet Sprocket - Something's Always Wrong


Looking at the track list now I realise this is a truly excellent mix cd! I must say I still mourn the loss of the music scene in a city where listening to, loving and breathing this music was part of daily life. Oslo might be small, but it does know its' music.

The Bon Jovi concert was good. Even though the accoustics are usually crap in stadiums it was fine where I was sitting, and the selection of songs was just fine. They played a couple of tunes I don't care for at all (Raise Your Hands and Captain Crash & The Beauty Queen From Mars), and not a couple of songs I was hoping for (Just Older and Make A Memory), but other than that the set was just fine. The jet lag caught me in the last thirty minutes and I think I was sleeping before my head hit the pillow.

No comments: