Monday, June 16, 2008

Grey Would Be The Color...

I am back home again, and not sure I'm liking it. Being on holiday is good, no doubt about it, and I wish I could just leave again. I hope it's the jet lag talking and that it'll pass in a day or so. I've promised myself to spend far less time in front of computers and have more time for myself in the weeks to come.

Today I'm going to see Bon Jovi, and must say I'm looking forward to it. Will probably be dead tired and un-talkative, but the music should be good. Other than that I'm going to Oslo on Thursday evening to work there on Friday, and hence I'll postpone my mid-summer day off to sometime when I actually need it.

Sometimes I am baffled by our extraordinary ability to ignore what is right there in front of us. This can partly be explained by the limitations of language and lack of ability to read minds, but sometimes we really do choose to put on rose-colored (or sometimes deppressively grey) glasses and not face facts. I am in a situation like that myself at the moment, and even though I _know_ it's happening I just can't stop myself. It's like a bad case of short term memory loss of the senses and total paralyzation of all self preservation logic.

Tracks to take note of on DCfC's Narrow Stairs are Bixby Canyon Bridge, I Will Possess Your Heart, Grapevine Fires and The Ice Is Getting Thinner. After another couple of days with this record I'll move on to Mozart's piano sonatas, a project I've put aside for quite some time. When I was a child, my mother would refer to Mozart as the pop of classical music, and I tend to agree. His pieces are in general a bit too upbeat and "happening" for my liking, but I'll give him another shot. The Naxos web subscription scheme is excellent if you like exploring classical music and don't want to by the physical records, by the way.

I finally finished Out by Natsuo Kirino. I complained a lot about this book, because to be frank it's not my genre and not a very good specimen of a crime novel either. It did, however, somewhat redeem itself with the ending. From being a little bit too irrational and trying to make a lot out of shallow characters, it suddenly took a dark and rather perverted turn in just the last ten pages. Thumbs up for that, but still not a book I'd recommend.

No comments: