Sunday, April 13, 2008

Friends Like These

Friday's anniversary party was a big hit, very good evening with lots of food, drink and excellent people. Was awake enough to go home around 01:30, and hence I was able to follow through with yesterday's program without too many problems. Hooked up with Deb and Quinn in Helsinki for lunch in Bar no 9 (had the coriander chicken stir fry, not at all on par with the braised reindeer or chicken lemon pasta), knitting, drinks and good conversation. Our general aim was to not end up in a puddle before David would join us later for the beer festival, and apart from some crap knitting on my side we did rather well.

The Helsinki Beer Festival was a little puzzling. You buy a ticket to get in, you pay a deposit for the glass, and you still pay close to normal price for beer. The plus being, off course, that the festival featured a lot of _not so normal_ beer. I stumbled through a rather good range of ales, some of which I'll try to find again. Also tried a nothing short of excellent cheese that I will have to hunt down first thing on Monday afternoon. The funky texture ham they served in the pytt-i-panna in the cafeteria, however, was not something I hope to experience again.

The host of the JD event, Dave, turned out to be a refreshingly my-style-of-music kind of guy, which of course started me on a long and winded rant about my favorite bands. In the spirit of preaching good music, I urge you to take a few minutes to check out Mesh. I was introduced to this UK synthpop act in 1999, on a summer Bergen visit to a buddy who was very into everything alternative and had a thing for their You Didn't Want Me. I have loved them since, and seen them twice on Arvika. They are one of the reasons why people who steal music piss me off, as they have struggled to finance a couple of releases. Check them out on youtube or let me know if you want to borrow an album.

Again the evening was ended in a reasonable hour, and I am feeling pretty ok today. In a couple of hours I'm going to town to hook up with Anu for today's Liverpool game. Arsenal are playing Man Utd later in the afternoon, so it'll be a rather football heavy day.

4 comments:

il bocia said...

You got to pay the ticket, the deposit and then STILL, also, for the beer??
mmh...
didn't like that either. my friends called me from there and said NOT TO JOIN THEM.
MAybe it's because they're actually not my friends, but a beer festival should give you the privelege to taste some beers and THEN, only then, you could decide to spend more money on a real glass...
That's what happens in Wine Festivals.
I was in a Food&Wine Festival.
15 euros but you go out then FULL & DRUNK.
We should complain to the city of Helsinki...

Even if all my body dizzles knowing an Arsenal-ManU coming match, my girl decided to come back from a trip at 5 p.m.!
what a wonderful choice of time no? :,)

GO GUNNERS GO!

C said...

The format did kind of suck, but at the same time I had a very good time and hence all is fine :)

Indeed very bad timing for coming home! I'll cheer a bit for you as well :)

il bocia said...

hey, I listened to some songs and they are really nice these Mesh, could you give me some good title album?
I saw they have many..

C said...

Glad to hear you liked them :)
I think their best albums are the three most recent ones - We Collide, Who Watches Over Me and The Point At Which It Falls Apart.

I'd recommend buying the albums from their website if you get to that point, as it is likely to be cheaper than even my best friend amazon.

Good listening :)