Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Killing In The Name Of

Last week Movie Night went to see Funny Games in Tennispalatsi. It's a 2007 remake of Haneke's 1997 German original, by the same director. I was a bit scared the movie would be over the top disturbing, but it was ok in the end. Like the use of camera (very retro German tv style) and music (jumping from Vivaldi to screamo/punk/racket).

An American upper class family of three make a weekend trip to their summer house (in the Hamptons?), and get a couple of unwelcomed, whitegloved visitors who like to play games. The underlying concept as such is absolutely brilliant, exploring how we view violence as entertainment. Towards the end of the movie some of the leads have a "philosophical discussion" which is a bit over the top, but ignore that and this movie is one I will buy and watch again. In Paris it seems to be a big thing, there were posters of a hysterical Naomi Watts on every street corner.

Spring has come to Finland, and I'm lovin' it. It's warmer, lighter, people are happy and the birds are singing. To be fair I spend all days in the office, but still it does brighten the mood no end that it's light when I go to work in the mornings and when I leave in the evenings. Norwegian footballer/embarrassment Riise did a good job sqrewing up Liverpool's CL game against Chelsea last night, scoring an own goal in the last seconds of the match. Thumbs up :D

Now, I have two weeks to waste in June. What should I do?

No comments: