Sunday, July 27, 2008

Come Loose Your Dogs Upon Me

I've had a couple of conversations lately around fairytale endings - do we or do we not want our lives to be like them? 17 year old maiden gets carried away by Harlequin novel poster boy to live well protected and happily ever after in a castle. This is where my being me kicks in and starts rebelling. Hell no!

If I was asked to conduct the fairytale of my life, it would consist of personal development, lovely music, great reads, morning walks in Paris, ale in London, baguettes in Laos, dusty old bookstores, vineyards in Mosel, antiques markets in Beijing, sidewalk cafés in Greenwich Village, ruins in Turkey, Norwegian mountains, Swedish thunderstorms, Finnish summer days, hundreds of yet unseen countries, daily life in a house by the sea, my bed, good movies, long hours in the dark behind the wheel, countless hours of conversation, churches, trees, lust for life, me and the one I choose.

The happily ever after could still be there, we'd just have so much more to talk about. The last time I went to Paris, as I stepped out of the train on the Louvre metro station, an old man was playing the first violin voice over a tape recording of Pachelbel's Canon in D, and it followed me along the Seine and into Notre Dame. Pictures like that will decorate my fairytale.

Kjersti (bless her heart) has managed to color her hair green today. I have laughed so much I've cried, and hope she's able to fix it before the new work week starts tomorrow.

No comments: