Sunday, July 20, 2008

They Come To Build A Wall Between Us

I've been very productive in here lately, haven't I. Maybe I should do more around the apartment and spend less time with the laptop, but what can I say, there's apparently a lot that needs stating. My ferns are feeling neglected, I can tell by the silence emanating from the kitchen window sill.

This week has been a heavy one, the load at work is still completely insane and this will just simply have to stop at some point or I will go bonkers. I did, however, meet up with Deb and Quinn on Wednesday for Bali Hai dinner and some knitting - which was nice. Quinn has returned from her Romania holiday and I really, really want to go there. Please, dear friends and loved ones, would one of you just freakin' decide to join me?

I also re-connected with my favorite e-mail writer during the week, after clearing up a misunderstanding that underlines the problems I have with virtual communication. I need the eye contact, I need the voice, I need the skin and the manneurisms. Sometimes it puzzles me no end how I managed to live for so many years with internet as the preferred mode of communication. I try not to think about what I probably missed during that time. Anyway, this made me happy and took the edge of some long hours in the office.

Friday I spontaneously ended up having beer in Helsinki with Kjersti, and must confess I ended up in a well good mood. We ended up conversing a group of men who were out on the prowl in Teatteri and as a result I had a date invitation for Tuesday tick in to my mail box last night. Weird, I have a very hard time believing I was particularly charming. Well, always nice to get some proper attention, although I think I'll pass on this one.

Saturday I went to Porvoo on the M/S Runeberg that I had previously only taken part of the way a few times with Lotta & Co. After a very stressful morning that included a nasty run-in with a bus driver and his bus, I got to the boat kind of last minute to find a great group of Jollies waiting for me. Beer and sun and good company secured a truly brilliant Saturday, and I was so spent when I got home it took me hours to move from the sofa to bed. Sometimes it's just so lovely to close your eyes for a little while right there, without moving anywhere :)

Next week will be work, work, work again, and then weekend. Am toying with the idea of a road trip, but don't really know where I want to go. The next time I go to a Finnish town I want their blasted church to be open, that's for sure. (Blasted church? I must say, very feisty female here today.)

"If heaven is on the way,
we'll wrap the world around it."
Bush - Letting The Cables Sleep (The Science of Things, 1999)

No comments: