Saturday, May 10, 2008

An Old Shirt Stained With Blood And Whiskey

Ever noticed how Metallica's James Hetfield grows ever more like Tom Waits when he sings with age? I think he has a fan thing going on there... When I grew up my mother took a liking to Rod Stewart, and in particular she seemed to be fond of Downtown Train and Tom Traubert's Blues. It wasn't until many years later I discovered they were both Waits tunes watered down and popularized by Stewart.

Oh, and yesterday I discovered that Scarlett Johansson (yes, the boob'y actress) is going to release a Tom Waits cover album on May 20th this year. Can't help but be a bit curious as to what that might sound like. Not a big fan of miss Johansson's; she did a good enough figure in Lost in Translation, although she's not what makes the movie good, but in general I get a bit distracted by the entire giant-lips-and-boobs thing.

On the topic of Rod Stewart, I couldn't resist looking him up in detail on youtube, and I was stunned by the amount of covers that guy has done. And then I was even more surprised to find that some of the covers he has done were not made by the artists I thought they were. Some Guys Have All The Luck, for instance, was not written by Robert Palmer, but The Persuaders. Never even heard the original! Can't help myself, though, Stewart does put a smile on my face. This Old Heart of Mine with Ronald Isley (of the original's Isley Brothers), for instance? You should see the living room dance routine I have for that one - it can almost compete with my Dancing In The Dark.

Today's trip to Hanko was a lovely affair with sun, barbeque and gargantuan ice cream cones. Thanks to Seppó for dragging along a bunch of tourists to his old hometown :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

har du ikke oppdaget tom waits ennå så har du virkelig noe å se fram til; hvis det da er noe som faller i smak så faller det *virkelig* i smak. sjekk ut "bone machine" eller "franks wild years", eller "alice" - alle gode startspor for den distingverte herremannen :)

C said...

Hehe :)
Joda, jeg oppdaget ham for noen år siden. Jeg har bare hatt et Waits-kick akkurat denne helgen. Får litt overdose av stemmen hans fra tid til annen, men når jeg er i det rette hjørnet finnes det ikke mye annet som er bedre. Tom Traubert's Blues er og blir favoritten dog, sikkert fordi jeg vokste opp med den forkrøplede Stewart-versjonen og originalen er så mye bedre.

Anonymous said...

None of my metalhead friends believe me when I say how much James Hetfield resembles Waits.