Tuesday, May 27, 2008

She Loves You For All That You're Not

Russia winning Eurovision didn't surprise me at all (these pictures gross me out no end), but I must say I was a bit disappointed by Sweden's poor results, not to mention shocked by the Norwegian score. Sunday I went for a very nice dinner in Teatteri with Mike, who was back (again) from London and some other friends. Yesterday I spent in our Stockholm office, and the trip almost did my head in. Had accumulated a cold w/headache on the side when I got home, and was not a very happy camper at all. Today has, however, been several notches better.

So, Scarlett Johansson's first Tom Waits cover single is out - Falling Down. She's receiving some criticism for the multi-layer, fuzzed up production vocals, but I have to say it's not half bad at all. I don't know what I expected, but it could definitely be worse. Also kind of like her video for the song, it would have been easy for her to do a glammed up popstar thing, but instead I think it's rather true to the style of Waits' own videos - a bit bleak and weird.

I now only have three working days before I go on holiday. As they are the three last days of the month I will be working my ass off, but still, in more or less exactly 72 hours my flight departs Vantaa and I will be leaning back with music in my ears (hopefully Death Cab's latest record have arrived on my doorstep by then) and two and a half weeks of free time ahead of me. Before I get that far, however, I have two movie nights this week. Will see The Hudsucker Proxy tomorrow and Indiana Jones on Thursday. Better exhaust myself completely while I'm at it :p

I've been thinking a lot lately about breaking out of patterns and taking the road less travelled, and am starting to worry I have become complacent. I used to challenge everything and jump at any chance to stretch my limits, but lately I seem to be more inclined to critizise others for not taking chances than doing so myself. Will target to change this, but might need some help in getting there.

For some reason this last paragraph put me onto the 2007 Israeli Eurovision song Push the Button (the mind moves in mysterious ways). Now, this song was no masterpiece to put it very mildly, but our LCV (Light Commercial Vehicles) department got completely hooked on it and were chanting Push The Button in response to more or less any question you had. Very annoying :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you know... for kids! sure, sure.

C said...

Heh :) I kinda liked it :) Didn't know what to expect up front, but it was quite ok.