Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I Can't Get No Sleep

For unknown reasons I am once again back in insomnia land. No work hang-ups this time around, but my mind battles the weirdest things when I am supposed to sleep. Last night I woke up something like twenty times because there was a guy in a ski mask on the bus. Finally I had no other choice than turn the lights on and read for a while. The counting backwards from 100 technique seems to be working all right once I get my mind away from whatever it is it's working on, though.

Anyway, as I finally had some time to read, I finished The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. I started this book straight after finishing American Gods, and it's kept me rather entertained. It's about fairytales and the dark turns a child's imagination can take when faced with the hard realities of life. Side by side with my fascination for religion and mythology walks the thing I have for folklore, so off course this one was also right down my alley. It is a bit dark and depressive, though, so I wouldn't recommend it to all. Also, if you don't like unrealistic stuff it's definitely not for you.

Tomorrow I will _not_ be going to the weekly welcome (!), as my random fever has turned into a cold I need to get rid of asap. Thursday's movie is Love in the time of cholera, and I'm a bit ambivalent about it. The book comes recommended, but I haven't had time to read it - and the soundtrack of the movie is by Shakira! Well, worst case I guess I still have a good read to look forward to :)

Friday is Mark S/Mike W/Fredrik H's leaving work party, and I'm all set to cry my eyes out. Note to self: Wear water proof mascara. Saturday is Mike (JD)'s leaving party no II, and Sunday I plan to be immobile and read some more. Received a tip from Deb on a handicraft store in town that I need to check out - I need Aida fabric for a couple of cross stitching patterns I'd like to start working on. Also, I've decided to learn how to knit! Next Christmas there will be socks for all! (Or at least scarves, in case I fail miserably in the sock department.)

4 comments:

il bocia said...

I couldn't get no sleep either last night... i hate that, i feel like wasting time being in bed without sleep...

tomorrow i'll come too! I have a free thursday and even if the movie is not sooo appealing it's ok.
Javier Bardem and Giovanna Mezzogiorno are usually really good, so at least we will see good performances... and the fact that they are foreigners just means that is gonna be easier to understand them! :)

see you tomorrow then,
baci
B.

C said...

I have extreme cases of insomnia from time to time, it comes and goes and now I'm in the middle of a bad hit.

Good to finally have you with us! See you tomorrow :)

C

Deb said...

Pleased to see I've managed to break away from the D&D single entity!

Deb

C said...

Hm, I definitely don't see you guys as a single entity, I hope that's not how it's perceived!
Will keep you clearly separated in future posts ;)